Driving in Australia and receiving your mail

Driving a motor vehicle in NSW

Are you planning on driving a car while you're attending Charles Sturt University? If you are an international visitor, and you have a valid international driver's licence, you are permitted to drive a car in New South Wales (subject to conditions).

It is illegal to drive without being properly licensed.  Before attempting to drive on any road in Australia make sure that you have a proper license and you know the road rules.

This summary of information should be read in conjunction with the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) website. In particular, see the RMS Guide for International Drivers

Driving in NSW on an overseas licence

If you hold an overseas licence, you are allowed to drive the vehicles covered by your overseas licence in NSW indefinitely, as long as:

  • You remain a temporary overseas visitor
  • Your overseas licence remains current
  • You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or anywhere else
  • You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled, or your visiting driving privileges withdrawn
  • You carry your overseas driver or rider licence. If your licence is not written in English, you must also carry an English translation, or an International Driving Permit.

As an overseas visiting driver, you must carry your licence with you when driving and be able to prove genuine visitor status to NSW Police, if required. Visas, letters from employers or educational institutions,  and statements from consulates or diplomatic offices may be used to establish visitor status.

You should read the Road Users Handbook to learn the current road rules in NSW.

Applying for a NSW licence 

If you're a temporary overseas visitor (i.e. not an Australian citizen and not a permanent resident of Australia), you can apply for a NSW licence if you will be in NSW for more than 3 months.  

See the rules for applying for a NSW licence as a temporary overseas visitor.

Temporary Licences will be marked with the one letter code "Q" in the conditions area on the front of the licence, while the accompanying text "Evidence of permanent resident status not provided to the RMS" will appear on the back of the licence.

Note: These licensing rules do not apply to people who have previously been issued a NSW licence, people transferring an Australian interstate licence or New Zealand licence to a NSW licence or to visitors who do not hold an overseas licence applying for a NSW learner licence.

Learner licence holders – interstate or overseas

If you hold a learner licence from another state or country, you can continue to learn to drive in NSW. You must always be supervised by the holder of an unrestricted Australian driver licence that is a class C or higher (i.e. other people with learner's licences or P1 or P2 licences cannot supervise you).

You must comply with the conditions that apply to learners in NSW, even if they don't ordinarily apply in your home state or country. You must also comply with all relevant conditions that apply to the licence in your home state or country. See also information on speed limits.

Roads and Maritime Services contact information:

General Contact Phone: 132 213 (8.30am – 5pm Monday to Friday, 8.30am – noon Saturday)

Further useful and important information visit:

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) - Information for International Visitors.

Receiving your mail at CSU

As part of your student visa conditions, you must register your mailing address details with the University within seven days of your arrival, and you must notify us if you change your address during the course of your study.

Register your address with CSU

You need to remember that you must:

  • register your address details on student.csu.edu.au within seven days of your arrival

  • update your address details on student.csu.edu.au immediately, if you change your address during the course of your study.

You are not permitted to use the temporary mailing address as your registered contact address.

Mailbox hire

For your convenience, mailboxes are available for you to hire. You can arrange your mailbox on campus when you arrive at CSU.

You should advise family and friends that your temporary mailing address will be:


Albury Campus

Your name

Office for Students
Charles Sturt University
PO Box 789
Albury NSW 2640

Bathurst Campus

Your name

Office for Students
Charles Sturt University
Panorama Avenue
Bathurst NSW 2795

Orange Campus

Your name

Office for Students
Charles Sturt University
Orange NSW 2800

Wagga Wagga Campus

Your name

Office for Students
Charles Sturt University
Locked Bag 588
Wagga Wagga NSW 2678