Information for parents
Parents and guardians play an important role in providing advice, guidance and support for students deciding on university study. Helping your child to research their options can help to prepare them, and yourself, for a successful transition to university life.
To help you on this journey, CSU will be providing opportunities for parents and students to gather first-hand information from CSU about courses, accommodation, scholarships, costs, how to apply and early entry programs.
Our Little Bird email provides this information in a timely manner –sign up and stay up-to-date
Parent information evenings
As a parent, we realise the process of your child choosing a university can sometimes be as overwhelming for you as it is for them! For this reason, we are hosting a number of Parent Evenings at various regional locations around CSU campuses, as well as in Sydney, so you can have your questions answered about starting university.
These evenings will give you the opportunity to meet with Student Advisers and discuss your child's study options in more detail, as well as find out more about entry requirements, accommodation, scholarships and opportunities available on campus.
The Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) will also be presenting at a number of these events and explaining things such as the ATAR and how it is calculated, as well as the university preference system.
Check out the list of evenings coming up and see when CSU is next near you.
|Date and time||Location||Venue||UAC attending||Register|
|Monday 15 August; 5.30pm - 7.30pm||Griffith||TAFE NSW Riverina Institute, Room AG10; 1 Neville Place Griffith||Register|
|Wednesday 17 August; 5.30pm - 7.30pm||Young||Young Federation Motor Inn; 109-119 Main St Young||Register|
|Monday 22 August; 5.30pm - 7.30pm||Albury||The Commercial Club, Stanley A Room; Elizabeth St Entrance Albury||Yes||Register|
|Tuesday 23 August; 5.30pm - 7.30pm||Wagga Wagga||Wagga Wagga Commercial Club, RJ Hall Function Room; 77 Gurwood St Wagga Wagga||Yes||Register|
|Wednesday 24 August; 6.00pm - 8.00pm||Dubbo||Dubbo RSL, Jacaranda Room; Cnr Brisbane and Wingewarra St Dubbo||Yes||Register|
|Thursday 25 August; 6.00pm - 8.00pm||Bathurst||Bathurst Panthers, Panorama Room; 132 Piper St Bathurst||Yes||Register|
|Tuesday 30 August; 6.00pm - 8.00pm||Cowra||Cowra Services Club, Falcon Room; 101 Brisbane St Cowra||Register|
|Tuesday 30 August; 6.00pm - 8.00pm||Hornsby||Hornsby RSL, Boronia Room; 4 High St Hornsby||Yes||Register|
|Wednesday 31 August; 5.30pm - 7.30pm||Orange||Orange Ex-Services Club, Tobruk Room; 231-242 Anson St Orange||Register|
|Thursday 1 September; 6.00pm - 8.00pm||Northern Beaches||Dee Why RSL, Luana Room 1; 932 Pittwater Road Dee Why||Yes||Register|
Tips for parents:
- listen to your child and pay careful attention to their hobbies, strengths and any career interests to gain a sense of the direction they might like to take
- start the conversation to see what your child would like to do after they finish high school
- encourage your child to take part in work experience in areas that interest them to show them what the industry is really like
- familiarise yourself with the CSU Future Students website, where you can research university life and find detailed course information across a range of career areas
- encourage your child to attend a MyDay event at CSU to further research specific courses and careers. Selected MyDays also have parents programs as part of the event too
- keep track of important dates such as opening and closing dates for UAC / VTAC, the Schools Recommendation Scheme (SRS) and accommodation
- discuss costs with your child and research the scholarships available
- book a campus tour at a CSU campus so you and your child can gain a greater understanding of what living and learning at CSU is like
- attend CSU's Parent Information Evenings, which cover key information relevant to the stage your child is at in the research and application process. See details above.
To discuss any questions you may have, please talk to a CSU Prospective Student Adviser by phoning 1800 334 733.
If you would like to receive information from CSU regarding news, future events and important dates please complete the form below.