Information for parents
Parents and guardians play an important role in providing advice, guidance and support for students deciding on university study. We've collected some of the key points to help you below, but if there's anything else you'd like to ask, our Prospective Student Advisers will be happy to call you for a chat.
What do you need to know?
As a parent, being able to help your child to answer the following questions will really help:
- can I afford to go to university? What scholarships are on offer?
- what information is needed to apply?
- how does the application process work?
- what access schemes are available and how do they work?
- does the course your child is applying for have special requirements?
- what are the key dates?
To discuss any questions you may have, talk to a CSU Prospective Student Adviser by phoning 1800 334 733.
Tips for parents:
- listen to your child and pay careful attention to their hobbies, strengths and any career interests to gain a sense of the direction they might like to take
- start the conversation to see what your child would like to do after they finish high school. CSU's Choose Your Career provides a useful where-to-start-guide for Year 10 students
- attend a parent information session at your child's school
- encourage your child to take part in work experience in areas that interest them to show them what industry is really like
- familiarise yourself with the CSU Future Students website where you can research university life and find detailed course information across a range of career areas.
- browse our range of printed publications to see which courses are being offered
- consider attending a career area focused MyDay event with your child
- keep track of important dates such as opening and closing dates for UAC / VTAC, the Schools Recommendation Scheme (SRS), scholarships and accommodation.
Parent information evenings
Are you a parent with a child about to embark on a university adventure?
Charles Sturt University (CSU) will be providing a unique opportunity for parents and students to gather first-hand information from CSU about courses, accommodation, scholarships, costs, how to apply and early entry programs.
Register to join us at our information evenings for parents and carers across NSW including:
|Griffith TAFE||Tuesday 11th August 5.30pm||Information & Registration|
|Young Town Hall||Tuesday 18th August 5.30pm||Information & Registration|
|Wagga Wagga Commercial Club||Tuesday 25th August 5.30pm||Information & Registration|
|Dubbo CSU||Wednesday 26th August 6.00pm||Information & Registration|
|Orange TAFE||Thursday 27th August 6.00pm||Information & Registration|
|Albury-Wodonga CSU||Wednesday 16th September 6.00pm||Information & Registration|
|Parramatta RSL Club||Monday 24th August 6.00pm||Information & Registration|
|Chatswood Club||Tuesday 25th August 6.00pm||Information & Registration|
|Bondi Junction Waverley Library||Thursday 27th August 6.00pm||Information & Registration|
|Hornsby RSL Club||Thursday 3rd September 6.00pm|