Commonwealth supported places

A Commonwealth supported place is subsidised by the Australian Government so that students are only required to pay a Student Contribution amount rather than the full tuition fees.

If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen or hold a permanent humanitarian visa, and meet the relevant citizenship and residency requirements, you may be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place. These places are offered to undergraduate and postgraduate students, but postgraduate places are limited. Eligibility details and FAQ's are available on the StudyAssist website

If you do receive a Commonwealth supported place you can choose to pay your student contribution as you go or, if you're eligible, you can study first and pay later via a HECS-HELP loan.


The HECS-HELP loan scheme allows you to defer your fees until you are earning a certain salary.

HECS-HELP loans are managed through the Australian Taxation Office and repayments begin once you reach an income threshold determined by the government. The compulsory income repayment thresholds are as follows:

2015-2016 - the compulsory income repayment level starts at $54,126

2016-2017 - the compulsory income repayment level starts at $54,869

Repayment income is calculated from the amounts given on your tax return.

Visit the ATO website.

If you are able to pay your Student Contribution up front, you will be eligible for a HECS-HELP discount.

Note: part up front payments needs to be $500 or more.

To be eligible for HECS-HELP you must:

  • be studying in a Commonwealth supported place
  • be an Australian citizen; or
  • be a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder who meets the long-term residency requirements; or
  • be a permanent humanitarian visa holder;
  • be enrolled in each unit at your university by the Census date;
  • meet the relevant HECS-HELP residency requirements;
  • read the HECS-HELP and Commonwealth supported places information booklet; and
  • submit a valid Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form to CSU by the Census date (or earlier administrative date).

For more information on Commonwealth supported places and HECS-HELP, visit the StudyAssist website.

Your student contribution

Your student contribution will vary depending on your subject choice. Subjects are grouped into 'bands' and are priced accordingly.

Look up my subject band [XLS]

Open calculator in a new window

How do I pay my student contribution?

You can pay your student contribution upfront to CSU, or defer payment through the Australian taxation system. You can choose which method you'd prefer by completing the form included in your offer pack.

Find out more about fee payment options.