Visas, legislation, regulations and other

You will need to have a current student visa while you are a student in Australia.

Student Visa Information

International students who wish to study onshore at Charles Sturt University (CSU) are required to have a valid Australian student visa. To be eligible to apply for a student visa, applicants must have an offer of admission.

To be granted a student visa, you must also satisfy a set of requirements imposed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). These requirements vary according to each student's nationality and proposed level of study.

The implementation of the National Code of Practice 2007 has resulted in a number of changes to study regulations covering overseas students.

In very broad terms, assessment for student visa applications is undertaken in four categories - Financial, English Proficiency, Health and Other Conditions.

Student Visa Conditions

All student visas are issued with a series of conditions which you must follow during your period of study. Student visas are issued with the following minimum conditions:

  • 8101 No work

  • 8202 Maintain satisfactory academic progress and attendance

  • 8206 No change of provider

  • 8501 Maintain health cover

  • 8533 Notify address and changes

There are a number of other possible conditions which may be imposed and the meaning of each of these can be checked on the DIBP website.

Student visas are normally issued for the duration of the course or the package of courses but DIBP has the discretion to vary this for each applicant.

If a student does not maintain adequate academic progress and consequently needs to extend their studies beyond the completion date on their eCOE then they will need to apply for a new student visa to allow them to stay in Australia to complete their course.

How to apply for a student visa

To apply for a student visa in your home country before leaving Australia, please contact the Immigration Section of the Australian Diplomatic Mission (the Australian High Commission, Consulate or Embassy) or use the services of an authorised CSU International Agent.

It may take up to six months to apply for and obtain a student visa from some countries. The application steps are:

  1. fill in our application form to study at CSU

  2. once we have received and assessed your application, we'll send you a Letter of Offer. 

  3. pay your academic fees

  4. once we have received payment, we will send you an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE). If you are under 18 years of age, you'll need to ensure that you have appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements

  5. you'll need to have a medical check and X-ray at an authorised medical office

  6. submit your visa application form (Form 157A), supporting documents and fee to the Australian Diplomatic Mission in your country.

A detailed 'Step by Step' guide to obtaining a student visa is available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

Your student visa obligations

8101You cannot work in Australia. You can, however apply for permission to work with the school's approval.
8101You must remain enrolled in a registered course. You must attend 80% of school contact hours and achieve satisfactory results. The CSU Study Centre will monitor your attendance very closely. Parents will be informed if you are not attending classes.
8206You must remain with the school with whom you originally enrolled for the first 12 month of your principal academic course, or, if the course is for less than 12 months, for the duration of the course.
8501You must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during your stay in Australia.
8532If you are under 18 years of age and do not intend to live in Australia with a parent, custodian or nominated relative, you must have obtained approval from your school for your accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements.
8533You must inform The CSU Study Centre within seven days of your arrival in Australia of your current residential address and of any changes of address within seven days of each change.