International student responsibilities

Your responsibilities as an international student are imposed on you by the conditions of your student visa.

Your responsibilities

The below summary of information should be read in conjunction with the Department of Home Affairs website and the Charles Sturt University Academic Regulations.

These conditions are governed by the Migration Regulations and are enforced by the DIBP.

While it is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with your visa conditions, the University must also monitor your enrolment and notify DIBP of any breaches.

DIBP may cancel your student visa if you are found to have breached your visa conditions.

Your responsibilities include:

  • maintaining enrolment and course progress

  • achieving satisfactory results

  • paying tuition fees on time

  • notifying the University of any change of address

  • other responsibilities.

Maintain enrolment and course progress

You must be enrolled in a full-time registered course at university. At CSU, this means you should study four subjects per session.

You are also expected to complete your course by the end date specified on your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE). This means that you can only reduce your study load in special circumstances and in consultation with your International Student Liaison Officer and Course Coordinator. A reduced load may result in the need to take up additional subjects in future sessions to complete your course in the time frame specified on your student visa.

According to Australian government regulations, CSU can only extend your eCoE (which you need to apply for an extension of your student visa) in certain circumstances. If you think that you will not be able to complete your course by the date on your eCoE, then you must see your International Student Liaison Officer immediately so that an appropriate intervention strategy can be implemented.

If you do not abide by these requirements, you may not be able to extend your student visa to complete your course.

Achieve satisfactory results

All students at CSU are subject to rules and policies government satisfactory academic progress. As an international student, if you are excluded from your course because of unsatisfactory academic progress, the University must notify DIBP and your student visa may be cancelled.

Rules for determining satisfactory progress at CSU are:

Maximum time

Students in a course must complete the course within a maximum time of twice the standard time specified to complete that course.

Rate of progress

Students must pass at least one subject in a course by the end of the second calendar year of their enrolment in that course (note a calendar year is the period January to December in any given year).

Where students enrol in an add-on Bachelor Honours year, all subjects must be passed.

Professional experience

Students must meet required professional standards in the compulsory fieldwork or professional experience components of their course, to the satisfaction of the Dean of the Faculty.

Key subjects

Students must pass each key subject in his or her course at no more than two attempts.

Current students can find out more about CSU's academic progress regulations through the student.csu website.

Pay tuition fees on time

It is a requirement of your student visa that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and to pay for your studies in Australia. If you do not pay your tuition fees on time, the University may cancel your enrolment and notify DIBP. This may lead to cancellation of your student visa. If you have trouble paying your fees, please contact your International Student Liaison Officer.

Notify the University of any change of address

It is a student visa condition that you notify CSU of your residential address in Australia within seven days of :

  • arriving in Australia

  • changing your address

Once you are enrolled at CSU, you must notify CSU of your current address by updating your details in student.csu

Other responsibilities

There may be other conditions attached to your student visa which include:

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

You need to ensure that your OSHC is valid throughout your studies in Australia. If you need to renew your coverage and your health provider is with Allianz OSHC, you can do this by making a payment either directly to Allianz or at the Cashiers Office on your campus. Please check with Allianz OSHC on the current cost of OSHC premium.