Ally LGBTIQ Support Program
One of CSU's core values is "Inclusive". This means we welcome and support students and staff from all backgrounds and value the diversity all individuals bring to our community. We also promote an environment that is safe and respectful of all persons, and that supports sexual, sex and gender diversity.
Our Ally Program supports staff and students who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, Intersex, Queer or Questioning (LGBTIQ).
The Ally Program:
- promotes a safe, inclusive and affirming environment for staff and students who are LGBTIQ
- builds a culture of affirmation and inclusion by raising awareness of the experiences of staff and students who are LGBTIQ
- provides a visible support and advocacy network of identified Allies to the LGBTIQ community.
What is an Ally?
An Ally is a trained volunteer who is informed about, and understanding of, the experiences of members of the LGBTIQ community. Allies are committed to building a safe and inclusive place to work and study. Allies are a point of contact on campus for LGBTIQ staff and students or anyone with concerns around sexual, sex and gender diversity. Allies are staff and students representative of the whole CSU community who may or may not identify as LGBTIQ.
What Allies do
- Provide a comfortable and confidential environment for people to discuss matters related to sexual diversity and sex or gender identity.
- Work on expanding their understanding of LGBTIQ communities and the nature and impact of discrimination experienced by LGBTIQ people.
- Show leadership by being publicly supportive of sexual, sex and gender diversity.
- Role model non-discriminatory practices and language.
- Promote a greater understanding of the LGBTIQ community.
- Challenge, wherever possible, homophobia, transphobia and heterosexism on campus.
- Provide information and make appropriate referrals. Allies are not expected to be experts or to take on a counselling role but have access to resources in order to refer on to appropriate services.
Current CSU staff and students can find an Ally or access more information and resources here.